Monday, December 5, 2016

STORIES FOR THE HOLIDAYS.......Vicki Batman - The Littlest Angel



The Littlest Angel, a romantic comedy short story, by Vicki Batman, published in the Season of Promises holiday anthology

Two people. One prized ornament for the tree. Can a twosome get past their differences and discover the true meaning of Christmas?

Lauren MacDonald has always coveted her mother’s ornament, The Littlest Angel. When her mother gave it to another, Lauren unearths a replacement only to have it snatched from her hands.
Architect Smith Hancock’s grandmother has a little angel which is missing. Locating another would make her holiday the best ever. Only a feisty girl is claiming it for herself.
 

 Excerpt:
When I was a small child, my family’s next-door neighbor gave my mother an angel fashioned from a craft kit. The body was formed from a Styrofoam egg-shape. The hands and feet were smaller versions, cut in half. Her head was round. The limbs were attached to the body with furry, fleshy pink pipe cleaners. A round red sequin made her mouth. An even tinier one was pinned on for her nose. And silver lashes were glued in place for her eyes. White pincurls covered her head and silver wings were attached to her back.
        For many, many years, I coveted this angel. When my mom switched to another tree-topper, I’d begged for the first, but she’d said no. I was disappointed, but thought, perhaps Mom’s sentiments, a letting go of her friend who’d passed two years prior, made her reluctant to give me the doll. I got that.
        However, one day, I discovered she had given it to my sister instead of me. Saddened, my heart cracked in two, and when I asked Mom why, she said she’d forgotten I wanted the ornament and apologized.
        I knew the angel didn’t mean as much to my sibling as she did to me. For a while, I resented my mother and my sister.
        Such is life. And thus began my quest.
        I’d always hoped I’d find a replacement and searched the dusty aisles of the automobile building where the market was held the first weekend of every month. I dug through many a ripped carton or dirty bag and never saw anything close...until today.
        Discreetly, I moved off to the side and watched the woman to see what she would do, all the while thinking please put her back and walk away. Please. She fiddled with the wing and fingered her limbs. From the happy expression on her face, she seemed more than interested.
        I clasped my hands to my heart and repeated you don’t really want it, hoping my mental vibes would reach the customer and she’d return the ornament to the box. To my amazement and delight, she did put the doll back, toed the box under the table, and strolled to the next booth. With utter happiness tap-dancing inside me, I lengthened my spine and continued to play the patience game a shopper adopted for this kind of venue—show your poker face unless you were willing to pay full price.
        But my heart ruled over my logic. As soon as she cleared out, I stepped faster. No way would anyone else in the entire universe be buying my angel. Not this time.

Buy and social links:

Find Season of Promises anthology at:
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Season-Promise-Merry-Holly-ebook/dp/B01LQUP9AS/ 

Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/season-of-promises-holiday-box-set-marian-lanouette/1124742472?ean=2940153535586&quickview=true


Kobo: https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/ebook/season-of-promises-holiday-box-set 



Bio: Award-winning and Amazon best-selling author, Vicki Batman, has sold many romantic comedy works to the True magazines, several publishers, and most recently, two romantic comedy mysteries to The Wild Rose Press. She is a member of Romance Writers of America, Sisters in Crime, and several writing groups. An avid Jazzerciser. Handbag lover. Mahjong player. Yoga practitioner. Movie fan. Book devourer. Chocoaholic. Best Mom ever. And adores Handsome Hubby. Most days begin with her hands set to the keyboard and thinking "What if??"

15 comments:

  1. Vicki, your story sounds like a great Christmas read! Thanks so much for being my guest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Penny! And thank you. The first part of the story is true. I do have TWO littlest angels. I found the one like in the story and after my mom passed, finally got hers. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a cute story! I love angel ornaments! I used to buy one each year for my daughter -- until it became obvious that sea creatures were her thing. Now I buy whales and penguins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Darlene! That's so funny. I have made a little angel from a kit I found at Michaels. She's pretty cute too. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The lady across the street when I was growing up was always doing some craft. One year she crocheted snowflakes and hung them from a web of fishing line in her living room. You could tug on one and they all bounced. Then she crocheted bells and angels. I still have a lot of each and I treasure them dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Christmas stories, and I'm looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Pam! What a nice gift and a memory to cherish. Happy holidays, my friend.

    Hi, Angela! I like them too. They're fun to write as well. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a wonderful story. I can only imagine how much I'd set my heart on a special ornament. I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Melissa! And mom gave me the gift before she passed. She knew I loved it.

      Delete
  9. I love Christmas stories, and ornaments. Two years ago, I decided to to downsize to a smaller tree and give some ornaments to my daughters. Every ornament held a sentimental meaning and only a few made the cut. Now I have a small, overly decorated tree. But, hey, it makes me happy. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mia! Being happy is what is important. We went through a big Christmas box and several other containers of my mom's. We found things we didn't remember her having. A nice day for us.

      Delete
  10. I love Christmas and this one sounds like one I really want to read. I loved the description of how the angel was made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Beverley! She really is cute. I have a picture on my FB page profile: https://www.facebook.com/Vicki-Batman-sassy-writer-of-sexy-and-funny-fiction-133506590074451/

      Delete
  11. I can't wait to read. I'm waiting for the perfect cold day because a Vicki Batman book always warms your heart and makes you smile.

    ReplyDelete