Sunday, May 1, 2016

Everyone Reads YA Sunday - Flash to the Past, Book 3 of the Wickware Sagas



Flash to the Past



Can snooty, seventh grader Kristy Sawyer’s day get any worse?  It’s a Monday at Langdon Middle School and first thing in the morning Kristy is sent to see Principal DeWitt. His long, drawn out lecture makes her late for Miss Wickware’s history class. But the worst is when she finds out she is being partnered with nerdy Larry Peables to do an oral report on some historical Molly Picture, or Pincher, or Pitcher.  And the report is due tomorrow!

Her plan to bat her eyes and flirt with the little nerd, sure that he will jump at the chance to do whatever she wants, blows up in her face when he flat refuses to do the research.  Her day takes a drastic turn for the worse when she and Larry find themselves in 1778, Trenton, New Jersey.  During their trip back in time, Kristy and Larry come face to face with the British, George Washington, become involved in the Battle of Manmouth, and of course, meet their oral report subject, the famous Molly Pitcher.

She has only Larry to help her figure out why they are there and how are they going to get home.



A few reviews…..
By Mrs.G on February 2, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
Flash to the Past is the 2nd of this series that I have actually purchased. My 5th graders really enjoyed it as a read-aloud. We have been studying the Revolutionary War, and one of the non-fiction article we had done a "close" read on lately was about Molly Pitcher. My students were sooooo excited when they realized who the Molly in this book was. It was very worth the purchase.
These books are very quick to read (I think we finished in a week), and just a lot of fun. :)



By unicorngirl on September 9, 2013
Format: Kindle Edition
I must say my son and I are greatly enjoying Penny Estelle's Wickware Sagas. Flash to the Past is the third of the series. My son and I have learned about historical characters we never would have known being Canadian, had we not read these books. My favourite part of Flash to the Past is how Kristy changed from a snooty teenager to...read it and find out.


By Lady Bug Lin on August 28, 2013
Format: Kindle Edition

FLASH TO THE PAST

I just finished the THIRD installment in one of the most brilliant series I have ever laid my hands on, THE WICKWARE SAGAS geared towards presenting history in a way that is engaging, entertaining, and educational without seeming to knock the reader in the head with it.

I LOVE Penny Estelle's writing style. As far as I'm concerned every history teacher in the United States at the very least if not the world, should make her books a required part of their teaching curriculum.

In each of her books, to date, she has introduced elements about either historical figures I never learned anything about in MY history courses, back before we had as MUCH history to cram into the twelve years of public schooling we have to cram into it today, or if it was a figure we HAD heard about, she gives details far beyond anything I was given.

One of the saddest things about history is it is rarely taught in a way that makes the past seem like it was lived by REAL people. They're abstract concepts that you just can't relate to.

But not so in the books Penny Estelle, in what is commonly called SHORT STORIES, creates. We not only MEET actual people, we get to literally drop into their environments and live their story right along side them.

So far I've learned about two women that played roles during the Revolutionary War, I had never heard of. How sad is that? Also I learned the details around an event that I thought was foolhardy because I didn't know what led up to the event. Now I know what motivated this historic figure to act in the way he did, and because of that I can empathize with him and realize I would have done the same thing.

Penny Estelle makes history JUMP into vivid life for me, and for everyone who opens one of her books. That's what a good author does.

FLASH TO THE PAST Keep them coming Penny. This is one very addicted Ladybug who is deliriously happy to give you another FIVE STARS!


* * * * *

           
Flash to the Past is Book 3 of the Wickware Sagas.  There are five stories all together.  Please visit my author page at MuseItUp or Amazon and you can check out all five stories. 




There is also a printed version with all five stories – The Wickware Sagas




No comments:

Post a Comment