Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Kristy McCaffrey stops by for visit!




Morning everybody!  I'm thrilled to have the talented Kristy McCaffrey visiting on Penny's Tales.  Not only is she a best selling author, but a sister Arizonian!

Let's get this show on the road!


How did you get started writing?

I’ve always written, ever since I was a young child. It’s always been a compulsion for me. But I didn’t get serious until I was a stay-at-home with four rowdy youngins’.

What genre do you write and why?

I write historical western romances, set in the American southwest because … heck, I don’t know why. I grew up in Arizona, so maybe it was storytelling osmosis.

What is your favorite part of writing?

Nothing haha. Well, if I must choose, then I’d say when the first deep editing pass has been completed. That’s the point at which I finally have a viable story and I stop feeling so anxious.

What is your least favorite part of writing?

All those endless moments in the first draft when I wonder where the story is going.



When did you start writing toward publication?

I was in my 30’s and a stay-at-home mom to my four rugrats I’ve already mentioned. My mind was turning to mush, so I decided to try writing a novel. That book, THE WREN, was published by a small press. It was a wonderful opportunity, but in hindsight I think I was published too soon. I didn’t really have a good grasp of the craft. I promise it’s better now!

Do you have any words of inspiration for aspiring authors?

Keep going. It sounds cliché, but you truly learn by doing. It doesn’t seem like writing should be that hard, but it takes skill to work with words and imagery. I’m constantly learning new things. I really love it. You’ll know if you’re not meant to be a writer because the tediousness of it will easily drive you away. But if it doesn’t, then you’ve found your passion and your tribe.



Now Available
Amazon or read for FREE in Kindle Unlimited.
99 cents for a limited time.
Can be read as a stand-alone novel.


Molly Rose Simms departs the Arizona Territory, eager for adventure, and travels to Colorado to visit her brother. Robert left two years ago to make his fortune in the booming silver town of Creede, and now Molly Rose hopes to convince him to accompany her to San Francisco, New York City, or even Europe. But Robert is nowhere to be found. All Molly Rose finds is his partner, a mysterious man known as The Jackal.

Jake McKenna has traveled the bustling streets of Istanbul, exotic ports in China, and the deserts of Morocco. His restless desire to explore has been the only constant in his life. When his search for the elusive and mythical Bluebird mining claim lands him a new partner, he must decide how far he’ll go to protect the stunning young woman who’s clearly in over her head. A home and hearth has never been on The Jackal’s agenda, but Molly Rose Simms is about to change his world in every conceivable way.

Please note: Contains mild violence and a sensuous love scene.

Excerpt
“What do you want?” she (Molly Rose) whispered.

“Someone’s following you.”

Her eyes narrowed. “I believe you’re right, and I’m guessing it’s not the first time you’ve done it.”

“Not me. Well, not exactly.” Jake glanced side to side and checked the hallway. “Can I come in?”

“How will my reputation survive it?” she groused, but she stood back and let him enter, shutting the door behind him. “Do you have news about Robert?”

She’d changed from her dark sneaking-around attire and now wore a wrap over what he presumed was her sleeping gown.

“No,” he replied. “But I’m guessing you do.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Look, I know you don’t entirely trust me, but I know you went to Robert’s room tonight.” He held up his hand when anger flashed in her eyes and she opened her mouth to speak. “Yes, I was watching you, but I’m the least of your worries right now. Someone else was following you.”

“Who?”

“A man who works for Shep Lannigan, and Robert’s mixed up with the lot of ’em.”

“Then maybe I should speak with them.”

Jake shook his head. “No, you shouldn’t. At least not until we can find your brother and learn what he’s gotten himself into.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Listen, we should get out of town.”

Incredulous, she laughed. “Now?”

“Yes, now. I have a place we can go.”

“You’re deranged. We’ve only just met. For all I know, you could be the one against Robert, if that’s what’s truly going on.”

Jake paused, watching the tigress before him. Why hadn’t Robert ever told him his beautiful sister was full of spit and vinegar? “I can assure you, I won’t hurt you. Robert is like a brother to me, and while we’ve had our ups and downs, I consider it my duty to look out for his sister. And right now, if you stay in town, I’ve a feeling you’ll—at the very least—be harassed, but more likely, you’ll get roughed up.”

“By who? This Shep person?”

“He might think you know where your brother is.” Jake lifted his hat and ran a hand through his hair. “Let’s change your location and throw them off your scent.”

He didn’t really expect her to agree wholeheartedly with him, so he was taken aback when she nodded her compliance.

“Be ready in one hour and meet me behind the hotel,” he said. “Pack light.”

He left before she could change her mind.

Copyright © 2016 K. McCaffrey LLC



Bio
Kristy McCaffrey has been writing since she was very young, but it wasn’t until she was a stay-at-home mom that she considered becoming published. She’s the author of several historical western romances, all set in the American southwest. She lives in the Arizona desert with her husband, two chocolate labs, and whichever of their four teenaged children happen to be in residence. She loves to travel and frequently blogs about her adventures.

Connect with Kristy
Amazon Author Page: http://amzn.to/2erVsze


6 comments:

  1. As usual, Kristy, your book sounds fabulous! Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Penny, for letting me stop by for a spell. Always a pleasure!

      Delete
  2. Great excerpt, Kristy, and I loved your discussion about the writing process and how you learn by doing. It's so true and with each book you learn something new. This is a great series, your "bird" books. I'm in awe of how you came up with such an awesome tie-in for a series. Like you said, the imagery is so rich! Best of luck with your release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never stop learning, that's for certain. Thanks so much for your kind words, Hebby. Hugs!

      Delete
  3. Kristy McCaffrey is new to me but the excerpt sounds good. Thanks for sharing Penny.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      So glad you enjoyed the excerpt. Cheers!!

      Delete